Saturday, May 17, 2014

FORTS AND BATTLEFIELDS


We  had to leave our lovely B&B today and we headed to Fort George.  It is an active military base today.  It dates back to the 1750's and was built by George II after the battle of Culloden as the ultimate defense against the Jacobites.  





We agin experienced the gale force winds that we had on Skomer island.  It was unreal. I was so glad I hadn't taken too much time with my hair this morning.  In fact the wind really improved it!


We had to bundle up to keep warm.




We climbed to the highest point in the Fort, looked at the view, visited the chapel and headed to the cafe for coffee to warm up. We caught a look at a couple of displays and headed to what we hoped would be a warmer location!














Our next stop was the Cullodin Battlefield.  It is truly a wonderful exhibition and I'd highly recommend it if you're traveling this way.  The battle lasted only 1 hour and resulted in the defeat of Bonnie Prince 
Charles. The exhibition gives a wonderful history of the events leading up to the Battle and than the battle itself.  So well done.

I thought you might like to read just a little about the it!  Ever so interesting!


That should occupy your day!
Next we went to the restaurant where two fine gentlemen insisted upon having their picture taken with me.  I'm such a sucker for men in uniform so I consented,



Our next stop was Fort Williams, our home for the next two nights.  It was a beautiful drive where we got to really appreciate the size of Loch Ness. We also were so impressed with the The beautiful Mountains.  

Time to close and get ready for our trip to the Isle of Skye.  On my next blog I will share photographs of my weapons training at the Battle of Culloden.  I know you can hardly wait!

No comments :

Post a Comment