Saturday, May 17, 2014

THE WIND AND THE RAIN

Before I tell you about the Isle of Skye I must show you the pictures of-my weapons training at the Battle of  Culloden Exhibit.  My military expertise came right back to me as is evident  by these pictures.


We departed for the Isle of Skye knowing full well the weather was not going to be great.  We did manage a few hours of dry weather and saw some lovely scenery including the lovely setting of  the Eileen Donan Castle built in 1213 as a defense against the invading Danes.

We made a calculated error early on.  We had made the decision to follow the road to the northern part of the island. The roads were narrow and very curvy  and we had many miles to travel and there was no turning around.  We had picked out a small croft village to visit but by the time we got there it was pouring down rain and that dampened  not only everything we were wearing but our spirits as well.  We hurried through the various huts trying our best to get our money's worth but finally gave up.



 


We were wet and cold.   The village would have been a great place to spend some time but we were miserable!

Our ride back to the mainland was eerie but beautiful.



This day was Sharon's 70 th birthday and thus far it hadn't been anything too special.  She had had to do some treacherous driving.  We had no recommendations for dinner but decided to try a little restaurant we had seen the previous evening on our way to our  B&B.  It turned out to be fabulous.  One of the best meals to date.  We deserved it!




The birthday girl with her dessert!
All in all it was a good day despite the weather. We had lots of laughs!  

Off we go heading to our home for the night.


In closing?  We are staying at a lovely castle but WIFI is ify at best and I am suffering from a cold so blogs may be scarce for awhile.

Blogging has gone wrong!  I had this completed and then the pictures wouldn't  load so I've been working on that. Finally gave up and inserted a  few pictures.   I'm crossing my fingers now and hoping this will publish!  I'd hate to be working on this section if the blog the entire year!

No comments :

Post a Comment