Friday, May 23, 2014

THE GOOD LIFE



We left the Fort Wiliam area and headed to our neext destination - Glengorm Castle B&B where we were looking forwrd to exploring the island of Iona and spend some time relaxing.  The castle did not disappoint.  I felt right at home the minute I saw the castle.


So me:-)!

We checked in after a rainy drive and enjoyed a little scotch in the library !


Compliments of the house.  Oh dear, I mean castle!  As you can see the castle had a nice selection.  We were staying only 3 nights so the question was,"Could we taste them all?"

Sometimes the seats on the couch were taken and I had to sit in the chair by the window and look out the window at a portion of the 5000 acre estate.  See for self how hard this was on my eyes.




Oh, I forgot I got out of my seat to take these pictures.


Here I am back in my seat. Looking quite sophisticated as is befitting someone drinking scotch in a castle.  I could get used to this.

After sipping the  scotch we retired to our room The Laorin Suite,for the night.



The attached bathroom was almost as big as the bedroom.  The view from our room was more of the 5000 acre estate.  Many leisure centers ( if you remember, sheep) and cattle roamed the acreage .
Oh, that's a dog.  I'll get to the sheep and cows!  Just give me a minute.

Glengorm castle was built in 1863 by James Forsyth of Dunacht,Argyll. On his arrival to Glengorm, Forsyth evicted all his tenants and burnt the cottages on the estate.  The smoke from the thatched roofs turned the sky blue and from this Glengorm took its name, blue glen.  Forsyth was cursed by one of the evicted tenants,she cited that he would never sleep in his new house.  This came true as he was killed in a riding accident before the castle was completed.

The current owner, Tom Nelson was born in 1972 and grew up in Glengorm and his wife, Marjorie's grandfather was the farm manager.

Our last day at the castle we spent roaming the grounds.  They were spetacular.  Flowers blooming, sheep grazing and hairy cows ( highland cows for those who don't know what hairy cows are) roaming. 


This one really caught my attention. Reminded me of the Loch Ness Monster. Perhaps they are related and I have made a notable discovery. I shall research this more when I have more time.  




We saw these three large rocks in the center of a circle of smaller rocks and inquired of two bicyclists who were crossing the estate what they were. They told us these rocks were probably 3000 to 40000 years old and predate Stonehenge .  

We continued on our walk ending up at the little cafe located on on the property for a spot of tea and lunch.





And then we walked home to our castle!


Each morning we enjoyed a wonderful breakfast in the diningroom.  We enjoyed meeting new people here and of course in the library in the evening.  


This group was from Alaska.  We had a great time at breakfast with them. They were a group of five.  I don't know how they got fit their luggage in one car.







Yes,  that's JoAnne putting on her bib.  It was our third breakfast there and I guess she felt right at home.  Keeping clothes clean and spotless is a problem for some. 

I'm going to tell you about The Isle of Iona tomorrow as this got rather lengthy.  I have a lot of catching up to do but we are now staying in the Lake District in Windermere and have time, seven whole days in one place, and a good WIFI connection.  I just have to hope I can remember what happened, when.

No comments :

Post a Comment