Saturday, May 10, 2014

PROBLEMS IN PARADISE, UPS SCOTLAND


I am still having problems with gmail on my iPhone.  I can't send , I can't blog ,I can't transfer pictures from my iPhone to my iPad,  I am not a happy camper but I will not let it get me down. "It" controlled me the other day, today I am in control and I am happy!  

Today we set out on the city bus tour bus to go on our first excursion to the Edinburgh Castle. It was raining but nothing could detour the four Marines from accomplishing their mission.  Off to the castle we went.  It's quite an imposing site.  " Great high ground ".  ( My military friends will know the significance of that ). For facts pertaining to the castle see wwwsharondaugherty.blogspot.com :-)!  My biggest disappointment of the tour was seeing the sign for the Free whiskey Tasting today and going into the shop and the only thing they offered was cucumber that you could dip in various sea weed.  One taste of that was enough.  




There was a lot to see at the castle and some of the views were spectacular. 

  

And some just fun!



And some touching!


After our excursion we were exhausted, cold, and hungry. Off we went to find some sustenance!  We settled on a little cafe and there pondered what to eat.


After lunch we walked a short distance to the St.Giles Cathedral.  Truly beautiful. It is a Presbyterian Cathedral and the stained glass windows are spectacular .  Unfortunately you can't  take pictures and even if you could you couldn't do them justice.  


We were extremely weary after our sightseeing but we wanted to get out train tickets for some of our other excursions.  We must have spend an hour plus in line. By buying out tickets in advance we saved enough to purchase a couple bottles of wine.  Very much worth the wait :-)!


Our last visit was to the National Portrait Gallery.  We tired out just as the museum was closing.  Perfect timing.  It is a truly beautiful building and worth seeing if you visit Edinburgh.

We returned to our apartment and had a magnificent dinner of apples,pears,crackers,cheese,popcorn cereal and wine.  Some of us ended our night soaking in a tub, taking some Aleve, and ribbing bio freeze everywhere is hurt.  That had to be almost where :-).




No comments :

Post a Comment