Tuesday, June 3, 2014

THE DAILY ROUTINE IN HARROGATE


A little bit about the history of Harrogate is in order here.  When one has sipped scotch in a castle it is only natural that one would seek out a fashionable spa town as a designated stop on one's itinerary.  
This daily routine of the wealthy visiting Hartogate in the 19th century particularly appealed to me.
7:00- 8:00 am
Rise amd visit pump room for a tumbler of water.
7:00  - 8:15  
walk about listening to the band
8:15
take second tumbler of water
8:15 - 9:00 am
Listen to the band and if perscribed take a third tumbler of water
9:00 
breakfast

For some it is advisable that they drive, either by omnibus carriage, or bath chair. but the walk home can be advantageos if it can be done without undo fatigue.  Care should be given to avoid exertion,

10:00
 letter writing or morning paper
11:00 
shopping/ walk/ listen to the band/or bath
1:00 
rest for half an hour

and so the day went.  
Here I am visiting the pump house to begin my day.  Unfortunately no water was given out but it was a most interesting museum which gives a nice little history of Harrogate.

Sharon and  I did visit the Royal Bath House before we left Harrogate and took advantage of the spa there.
We were trying to imagine ourselves as one of the rich and famous.  Hard to do when your poor and getting poorer and poorer as the trip continues.  Of course we are "the beautiful ladies from Iona"so we do have some notoriety and come to think of it Sharon is infamous!

Here are the baths ,darling......


You notice everything is very old. (Now why would I use that word in a caption right under my picture, I obviously wasn't thinking.  There is certainly no reason to point out the obvious!)
It was such a great way to spend the morning.  I ended it with a treatment,  neck, shoulder, and back massage.  I'm sure I looked much younger when I left the bath house. I SURE FELT YOUNGER!


I was hoping to continue the day and write about our trip to Ripon but having trouble with the WIFI again and cannot transfer the photo's from my phone to the iPad.  It was working earlier but not now.  Will continue with our trip to Ripon and our visit to York when things are working. Will just go ahead and publish this while the WIFI is working with the iPad .



No comments :

Post a Comment