Tuesday, June 17, 2014

KEEPING CURRENT


Thought I would just update you on the current staus here in Europe.  JoAnne and Ginger left this AM to head back to the states.  We had 6 great weeks together.  We saw a lot of the United Kingdom, shared a lot of laughs, and ate a lot of food!  We visited many glorious sites, cities, cathedrals, and drug stores.  We endured the cold, the temperate and even a few days of heat.  We consumed a lot of fish and chips, steak, sandwiches. and wine.  We saw black sheep, white sheep, black faced sheep, hairy cows ( Highland cows) Guernsey cows, Angus cows and all other sort of cows.  We saw lakes, oceans, rivers and seas.  We moaned and groaned together as feet, knees, backs and shoulders kept reminding us we weren't teenagers anymore.  But we did survive, we did enjoy, and we did make memories.  For Ginger and JoAnne it is the end of a great trip.  For Sharon and I it's the end of part 1 of our adventure and on to part 2 - living abroad.  

Our last big meal together.



Buying our tickets on the Eurostar for our trip to AMsterdam on Friday.


We had two young girls help us and when they heard our story, like so many others, they were excited for us.  As you can see from our expressions we're excited too.  

During the past week I have closed on my house, cancelled all those automatic payments from the bank that keep a house afloat and in some ways moved on from my life in Davidson.  The one thing that will always keep Davidson with me is the wonderful friends I accquired at church, bridge, book clubs ,River Run and various other groups I was lucky enough to be part of and of course being able to be close to my nephew, and his wife and my brother and his wife when they were alive.  Good Memories!!!

As I get ready to move on and leave Great Britian behind, images of this beautiful country will always stay with me.  Those green hills adorned with miles and miles of stone walls.  We were so fortunate to be able to drive through Wales and Scotland.  Rain does produce lovliness! We've also seen a lot of lovely countryside by train.  At first learning the ropes is a little daunting but these six weeks have given us confidence in mastering train, plane and subway travel.  We still have some leaning to do getting around by bus but one has to have some challenges ahead.

Hi lights and most memorable things - Llangollen, Harrogate, the stay at the Glengorm Castle in  Tobermory and the B&B Parrandier (church) near Urqhart,  the bar in Plymouth where the Pilgrams had their last meal before leaving for America.  So many more.  One of the nicest memories will be that I shared all this with 3 friends.

Today, Sharon and I are resting our weary selfs.  I am hoping to get up to date on my blog.  I'd like to start being more current but it has been hard  as "life" happens.  Now I just have to hope I can remember what happened, while I try to catch up on my blogging.  The mind is a little weary also.  
Of course i can just read Sharon's blog because she managed to keep up.  I want you to know while she was blogging I was doing laundry, baking, cooking meals, ironing, washing dishes, and mowing the grass.  So there!








2 comments :

  1. It sounds like you are having a wonderful and memorable time with great friends. You have learned some of the customs of other countries, and what many of us take for granted. People forget we do not all live the same. These are experiences you will be able to share with the rest of us through the written word. I hope you have taken tons of pictures so you can look back on this journey and remember all you have learned and experienced living abroad. You are having an amazing adventure that only some people dream about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure sounds just amazing. I am so proud of you both taking on this adventure. Safe and wonderful travels. Keep up the blogging~~it is so enjoyable to read. God bless, Judy Bronczek--in hot humid Memphis!

    ReplyDelete