Friday, April 10, 2015

BASILICA OF SAN DOMENICO



Basilica di San Domenicoo is one of the richest churches in Bologna in terms of history and art.  San DFomenicoi from Guzman, the Spanish funder of the Order of Preachers ( also known as the Dominican Order ) arrived in Bologna around 1200 and took possession of the area where  his church may be found.  After his death in 1221, some monks decided to have a bigger church built, where they could pay homage to San Domenico .  






The inside of the church was restored between 1727-32 by Carlo Francesco Dotti, who combined the two ancient medieval nucleus in one one bright building.  


The tomb of St Dominic is a masterpiece which continually bears witness to the glorious splendour of his life.  
"St. Dominic's tomb is both an artistic masterpiece and a historical document.  Nicolo dell'Arca,Michelangelo, Girolamo Cortellini, Alfonso Lombardi and other famous artists showed their genius by transforming lifeless marble into "speaking stones". The most important episodes of St. Dominic's life are "photographed" in the carvings of the sarcophagus ( Nicoloa Pisano, 1267) and the step between the two angels ( Alfonsso Lombardi, 1532).  These carvings were done according to the memories of friars who had personally known the Saint.  












The chapel across from this one was an area where no pictures were allowed.  


The chandeliers have to Venetian glass. 















After visiting the church we walked over to a litte outdoor cafe and enjoyed the sunshine, a latte, and a few sweets. Site seeing is hard work!


I'm just going to include my birthday celebration in this blog.  Sharon treated me to a lovely lunch at a great restaurant - Drogheria Della Rosa . The manager of the apartment complex here recommended it and called and made a reservation for us.  As it turned it out it really wasn't necessary but we did get a window table which was nice so maybe the reservation did help.


We were first given a complimentary glass of Pignoletto which is a bubbly wine. I don't usually like bubbly but this was delicious - so very refreshing.
We then had a complementary plate of a a small slice of picorino cheese and a small piece of a puff pastry of some sort and a tomatoe rellish of some kind which you could dip the pastry into.  With that description  your probably drooling - ha!  Forgot to get a picture of that I was so busy eating.  


We did let the wait staff know it was my birthday and the young waiter did "the kiss thing".  I didn't have my camera handy so I was thinking of asking him to repeat it ( awkward) when the owner came by to wish me a happy birthday and did "the kiss thing".  This time I handed Sharon my camera so we captured it on film.  



First course- pasta

Second course- meat

Sharon and  I both got a complimentary dessert.  Only I got the candle however.  

I look so pleased with myself - now had there been 70 candles ...

They also gave both of us a rose.





What a great way to celebrate turning 70.  














































No comments :

Post a Comment