Wednesday, December 24, 2014

CHRISTMAS IN AVIGNON

Thought I would take a little break from our travels and write a little on what's happening here in Avignon during the holidays.  I will say Christmas is much lower key - some stores don't  decorate and others just very modestly.  Most of the decorations didn't go up until very late November or early December.  Last Sunday , for the first time, most of the stores were open.  This week I've noticed the crowds a little.  Yesterday at Les Halles, the market where we buy our food,was very crowded.  First time I really felt that Holiday fervor.  I went to get some chicken breats because they had run out the day before and the counter was a mad house.  They were butchering the chickens ,not live ones, and stuffing them and wrapping them in bacon. I was so glad to have gone on Monday when it wasn't quite as hectic.  The cheese counter was 3 to 4 deep all around the counter.  

We did a little decorating and our landlord and apartment manager brought over a little tree and a creche plus some wine and candy.  













It took us a whole 30 minutes to decorate.  Just a litle less then the two days I used to spend in Davidson.  

Now to the Christmas market which is primarly located in the main square.  This year for the first time they have put some other little market areas up in  other squares in the city.  The markets consist of little booths which sell anything from scafs and hats, cheese or other food products, beers and wines,
Christmas novelities, candy, provence items - tableclothes, lavender, etc.  It is also a main gathering place as its set up around restaurants and coffee shops.  On the weekends and it seems everyday this week there is some entertainment for the children and a band can be heard playing.

This fairy was making balloon characters and handing them out to the children one day and one night,



We just happened on this little parade one afternoon.  As you can see people just go out in the street  and mingle with the parade personalities.







See what I mean.







Some of the wares at the market.










Chestnuts roasting on an ....









People taking a break from shopping or just enjoying the lovely day.

Always entertainment. playing and singing a little French song



These were just some crazy entertainers.



The Claus' outside a shop.





I don't know what a strawberry has to do with Christmas but...



A Christmas concert at Eglise  Saint Pierre.  We got there a day early... Oh dear, we just can't keep our busy calender straight.  We did go back.  There was a small orchestra, professional singers and also a choir.  It was in French but beautiful music can be appreciated in any language.



The Creche at the church.



A beautiful old hotel that we discovered where we've enjoyed a few glassses of wine.

In fact we went out on the 23rd and stopped at the hotel to have a glass of wine before dinner.  Most of the restaurants are closed on Christmas so we decided to treat ourselves to a nice evening preceding the holiday.



Followed by dinner at L'Essentiel.


We were served a complimentary glass of caluflifower and chesternut soup - delicious.  Sharon was so scared it was some fois gras she almost turned it away.  Sharon was treating me to fois gras but when asked if we were going to share it she immediately said "NO"!



And here I am just waiting to eat my foie gras but had to stop to get a picture.  I even got Sharon to taste a little.  This was served with some very fine greens and a madagascar jam.  I could eat this alone for a meal.  It was delicious!  Just so you can get a closer look.


Sharon ordered a chicken with mushroom dish and potatoes and she raved that it was probably the best chicken dish she had ever eaten.


I had pigeon with potatoes. Very very good also!


Chicken

Pigeon

We were too full for dessert but they dd provide us with a complimentary chocolate served with an orange very thin cookie. We weren't too full not to eat that.  Besides it would have been rude.  Forgot to take a picture  darn!

Christmas Eve day was beautiful so we walked around the square again and stopped to have some coffee and a bowl of soup then walked some more.  Almost hated to go home it was so beautiful out but decided to head home and then go out for a glass of wine later.  Sharon made up a batch of chili and I made up my bed.  I had washed the sheets and decided I'd flip the mattress while I was at it.  I had noticed that it was a little lower on the one side.  So I completed my task - made up the bed and looked over and there was the mattress cover - darn.  I debated with myself for a minute - should I just leave it or... decided I should put it on so redid the whole again.  By this time it was wine time so we headed to the square again and of course there was some entertainmnet - not quite sure what to make of it.


I'm not sure what they were doing - it was some sort of pantomime, I think.  I have some video's of some of these events so I am going to post them on facebook.  

We sat back and just enjoyed the evening.  Would have been lovely to attend a Christmas service but beause we don't speak French it's fustrating and so we decided not to attend.



And then we headed home and enjoyed a quiet night with chili and watched St. Vincent on Netflix's.  There isn't even a good Christmas movie on Netflix's streaming.  We have a nice meal planned for Christmas Day and will probably head out to walk around just to get some fresh air.  

Meanwhile back in California, Mattea, my oldest grandchild performed in a production of the Nutcracker.

This is Mattea with Mira and Mira's mom, Lorraine, and Mattea's cousin who was also in the performance.  



Just before retiring last night I checked my emails and I had a note from some people we had sat  and had a bowl of soup with in the Enkhuizen museum in Holland.  It was on July 17th, the day the plane was shot down above the Ukrain, killing 300 people, 200 Dutchmen.

From his note:

"We did enjoy a bowl of vegetable soupe together and for a moment we seemd a kind of connected on a sunny day in July...  If only everyone could be so great of heart that they would share a bowl of soupe it would be a much better world..."

The note continues and extends an invititation to visit them in their area if ever we are in Holland again.

We had exchanged emails as I had taken some pictures of them and they had asked if I would send them to them.  

Interestingly they live in Heerde.  We had visited there with our friend, Karen Laino's friends, Ton and Margot van Osch.  Small world!  Now I just have to see if they know each other.  


Rather a special note to receive on Christmas - I was very touched.  












 










































































No comments :

Post a Comment