Monday, January 12, 2015

TRAM 28-E


Another day and the question is what to do?  We decided to take tram # 28 and do the full circuit. It does a circle of the old city, the Alfama, Chiado, and the Bairro Alto districts.  We thought we'd be able to go the whole way on our 1.25 but were kicked off the tram and then allowed to reboard the same tram for an additional 1.25.  Oh well, I guess we can afford it.  We were warned about pickpockets on the tram so we were very careful.  I was watching everyone trying to figure out who was a pickpocket.  I can tell you I had no clue.  Our trolley wasn't overly crowded so they may not have tried to get on.  Apparently they travel in groups and push and shove and distract people so they can get into your pockets.  If you read trip advisor reviews every person mentions the pick pockets.


A happy traveler.

It looked just like the  restaurant we ate at the other day except I didn't see any food here and this one was going someplace. 

After doing the circuit we decided we'd get off at a very large church that we had seen and then walk down to our area.   The church was the Church and Monastery of Sao Vincente de Fora.  We went into the church but did go to the monastery.  Hopefully we will get back to do that one day.  The church was not as impressive as many we've been in but the monastery is supposed to be the place to see.  Something to do another day.

The monastery of St. Vincent was founded in the 12th century but the present day church was begun in 1582 and was not completed until 1704.  The dome crushed to the ground during the earthquake of 1755.  The last queen of Portugal, Amelia, died in 1951.  She is buried here along with her husband Carlos  I and her son Prince Luis Felipe, both of whom were killed by an assassin in Praca do Comercio in 1908










Everywhere you go the laundry is hanging out on the balconies or on a line strung from window to window.  


We found another Miradouro which are terraced view points.  There are so many in Lisbon and you never get tired of looking at the city.  From this particular Miradouraoyou get a spectacular view from the Sao Vincente de Fora Church to the river



I think I see a pigeon on this statues head.  When I first looked I wondered what kind of a hat or hairpiece did this fellow have.  I should have known better - pigieon 101.  This is a statue of St. Vincent ( the city's patron saint holding a boat with two ravens, the symbol of Lisbon.  

One of the sights was this rettaurant which looked like a nice place to come back to enjoy a meal, or just a coffee and enjoy the view. 



That afternoon we came home and started looking for a restaurant that would be fun to go to.  We spent a lot of time and finally decided on one after the one we had picked out closed at 1900 hours.  While walking to the other restaurant we noticed the one we had picked out was indeed serving dinner.  We were a bit early so we walked around and went back at 1900.  Her first customers.  They specialize in kebobs - fish or meat.  It was a wonderful place with wonderful atmosphere and of course I didn't bring my camera that night.  We will go back.  

Sharon took a picture of the outside the following day.

Finaly getting caught up.  Have a few days left but after I "trahed" the first day I had a hard time getting started again.  My eyes have also ben bothering me - the ighting has not been good in our apartments so today I went out and bought my self a little desk lamp.  I'm hoping that will help.  Let's see now - knees, back, feet, and now the eyes.  I must be appraoching 70!



















No comments :

Post a Comment